Friday, February 25, 2011

My Nana's Gift to Bee

My grandmother (Nana) crocheted every single day. She was the one who taught me how to crochet way back when I was 7 years old. I fell completely in love with the craft! Sadly, Nana passed away last year. As always, she was working on a project. This project was the very beginning of a baby blanket. She didn't get more than a few rows finished. She wasn't making it for anyone in particular. There were no babies on the way at that time. This was just her thing to do; or as she always called it, her "pasttime. Something to keep my hands busy."

Our crochet projects were always our favorite thing to talk about. I'd ask her what she was working on and she'd ask me what I'm working on. We didn't live close to each other, but she would come and visit or I'd visit her. My most favorite thing in the world was being able to sit and crochet with her. I was more daring than she was with trying out new patterns. When she saw whatever I was working on, she'd always say, "That Kim....she could do anything!!" It made my heart sing whenever she said that. I loved that she was proud of the art that she taught me how to do!

She was 90 years old when she died and her mind wasn't at its peak, but amazingly, she was still able to crochet her favorite pattern by heart without too many times of losing her place. Being a kindred spirit to my Nana and a yarn lover as well, all of her yarn, patterns, needles, and unfinished projects were given to me.

It took me a little over a year to feel strong enough to pull out the last blanket she was working on. Looking at it, I decided to finish this blanket by adding to it and making it into a full-sized afghan as a gift to my daughter, "Bee". It will be a very special birthday gift to her from her great Grammy. Bee has plenty of aghans that Nana made for her throughout the years, but I know this one will hold a very special place in her heart and will be cherished for years to come.

This is my Nana's portion of the blanket:

1 comment: